As you all know, I am a huge Pinterest freak (this week we I finally hit 15,000 followers)! Anyways, bragging aside, I find that Pinterest is the perfect place for scatterbrained creative types like me to organize our thoughts and ideas into easy to locate boards. It is also a great place for me to be able to pick up on key trends before they get huge. There are always trends in food, fashion, interiors etc. that Pinterest brings to my attention, and the most recent one I can think of is doughnuts.
Doughnuts are totally the new cupcakes, but as a vegan, my options are pretty limited. That is why I decided to try making my own! The shape of doughnuts has always seemed really intimidating to me since they have to look so perfect, but after a few tries I got a recipe that made it easy to do. Having the right doughnut mold is also essential! That is why I was so stoked when I found this silicone baking mold from Freshware!
Freshware is a super awesome company that specializes in eco-friendly, professional grade cook and bake ware. Their products are 100% pure premium quality food-grade silicone and also BPA, PVC & Phthalates free. You can tell whether or not good silicone is free of fillers by twisting it in your hands…if the twist areas are white, it has fillers. Silicone is a great eco friendly alternative to traditional plastics or other baking options because it is made from natural materials and is capable of breaking down in the environment or even being recycled!
OK so back to baking land, when it comes to doughnuts, I found my secret trick…I pipe the batter into the mold using a pastry bag! Boom! Perfect shaped doughnuts every time. And a great recipe doesn’t hurt either! If you want some killer vegan, chocolate doughnuts with an old fashioned glaze, look no further!
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 3 tbsp lukewarm water
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup cashew milk
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp lukewarm cashew milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- No need to grease your doughnut pan! (as long as you use Freshware silicone baking molds!)
- First, prepare your flax egg by whisking together flax meal and warm water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and organic cane sugar.
- Then, in a small bowl, mix the milk, melted coconut oil, and vanilla together. Add in flax mixture.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients while stirring constantly. Mix well to combine.
- Using a piping bag to pipe the mixture into each cavity. Make sure that the batter does not reach the top of the mold, if you do that the center of the doughnut will fill in while baking.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove mold from oven carefully, and let the pan sit for a few minutes before removing the doughnuts.
- Finally remove the doughnuts from the pan and place them on a cooling rack. Let sit for 10 minutes before adding glaze.
- While doughnuts cool, mix together powdered sugar and cashew milk to create glaze.
- Dip each doughnut into the glaze mixture and flip gently with a fork to glaze both sides.
- Place them on a cooling rack to let the excess glaze drip off and let the rest of the glaze firm up.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
What is your favorite doughnut flavor?!
*I received free samples from Freshware in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are, and will always be, my own.*