I know that to most people (especially those with kids), summer is over and back to school is on the brain. But I say, all the way up until Labor Day, IT IS SUMMER. I refuse to concede so easily. I was always the weird kid that got excited to go back to school because I wanted to get new pencils and a new backpack, but not so much nowadays. Growing up means that there are no breaks from work and that life can seem a bit monotonous at times. When summer leaves, all I will notice is the sun setting sooner and me being colder #notfun.
With Labor Day sneaking up on us, I thought that I would give you guys a knock-out recipe for a quick and delicious, vegan summer salad. I had four consecutive dinners with friends last week since we are getting prepped to move. Somehow I ended up being in charge of salad for three of those dinners, so I got plenty of practice in. This summery salad features my favorite berry, the strawberry and that vegan feta from last week!
- -3 cups romaine, chopped
- -1 cup baby spinach
- -2 cups chopped strawberries
- -¼ cup vegan feta (see previous post)
- - ¼ cup chopped almonds
- -¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- -¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- -1 tbsp yellow mustard
- -2 clove garlic, minced
- -3 springs basil chopped finely
- -¼ tsp sea salt
- -¼ tsp pepper
- Combine chopped lettuce, almonds, strawberries and vegan feta in a large bowl and toss.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all salad dressing ingredients for 30 seconds.
- Before serving, pour dressing onto the salad and toss.
- If you want to keep the dressing on the side or end up with extra, you can store it in an air tight container in the fridge for up to one week.