To be honest, going vegetarian wasn’t really hard for me, but going vegan was a larger struggle. I used to be a huge cheese eater, so giving that up has been ridiculously hard at times. The main type of cheese I miss is, oddly enough, is feta. I think feta just has such a distinct flavor that is unlike any other type of cheese and it works perfectly as a salad or pizza topping. Not having it in my life was a struggle until I discovered that you can make your own vegan cheeses at home! I wanted to start with vegan feta first, but I am planning to try out pepperjack, goat cheese and even various cheese balls in the future!
Read on below for how to make you own amazing feta cheese!
- - 14 oz firm tofu
- - 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- - 2 tbsp chopped jalapenos
- - 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- - 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- - 1/2 tsp fresh chopped garlic
- - 1/4 cup lemon juice
- - 1 tsp sea salt
- - 1/2 tsp black pepper
- - 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- - 1/2 cup water
- Place tofu brick in between two paper towels and press to dry out any excess liquid in it.
- Cube tofu into one inch pieces and toss in a bowl along with all other ingredients.
- Shake to make sure the tofu is coated in the liquid.
- Let sit for at least 3 hrs before using.
- Keep in the fridge in a sealed glass contained for up to two weeks.