As I stated on Monday, I am eagerly awaiting the Fourth of July. Why? Because I am a patriot dammit….oh and also because FOOD. I love barbeques, which is probably a weird thing for a vegan to say, but it is just so much fun to spend time outside with friends, drinking beer and raising hell, so throwing in an open flame with food on it just seems natural.
This year since we are actually in the country (unlike last year) I wanted to make something new and particularly special. In the past I have loved baking a vanilla sheet cake and covering the whole thing in strawberries and blueberries to make it look like an American flag, which is both delicious and cliche. So what new idea will I do this year? How about an amazingly patriotic pizza minus the cheese factor. This totally vegan pizza is still topped with the same red and blue fruits, but also is a little more of a fresh take. It was super easy to make and I promise it is a real crowd pleaser (no one will even know it is vegan I swear!)
- -1 cup whole wheat flour (you can also use gluten free flour or almond meal)
- -1/2 tsp baking powder
- -1/4 tsp salt
- -3/4 cup powdered sugar (organic)
- -1/4 cup coconut oil
- -1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- -1 tsp vanilla extract
- -1/4 cup full fat coconut milk (chilled for at least one hour)
- -1/4 cup Daiya cream cheese spread (or other vegan cream cheese)
- -1/4 cup powdered sugar (organic)
- -1 tbsp cornstarch
- -1 tsp vanilla extract
- -Roughly 10 strawberries (medium, organic)
- -Roughly 35 blueberries (organic)
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt). In a separate medium sized bowl, cream together powdered sugar, coconut oil, coconut milk and vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients into wet slowly, stirring constantly and scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Grease a 9" round cake pan with coconut oil. Roll dough into a ball and place in the center of the pan. Slowly and evenly press the ball of dough flat, filling the pan.
- Bake for 10 -12 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, prepare your filling. Using a hand mixer, whip together the coconut milk, cream cheese, powdered sugar and cornstarch. Once smooth, add in vanilla and blend until smooth again.
- Cut your strawberries however you would like for presentation (I cut mine into wide slices to layer as per image).
- Once the cookie is done baking remove it from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cover with filling.
- Finally place your fruit in whatever layout you would like atop your filling.
Also, I just thought that I would include a few yummy alternatives to traditionally meaty BBQ: