As a kid, I was convinced that I hated coconut because of its strange consistency (so basically I was Woody Harrelson from Zombieland). This led my childhood resentment of anything even resembling coconut, including Hawaiian Tropic sunscreen. Fast forward to present time and somehow coconut is now one of my favorite things in the world. I love that it is so sweet, but still packed with vitamins and all their benefits! That is why when I tasted a coconut chew in a local restaurant, I know that I had to try and make my own vegan version. I was beyond excited to try and let me say it did not disappoint!
Read on below to get the recipe!
Coconut Chews (Vegan)
Write a review
- -4 oz Earth Balance (or similar butter substitute)
- -4 oz coconut oil
- -1/2 packed brown sugar
- -2 tbsp agave
- -1 tsp vanilla extract
- -1/2 cup applesauce
- -2 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- -1 tsp baking soda
- -1 lb sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line a cookie sheet with a silicone liners (you can use wax paper too but this saves paper!)
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter, oil, sugar, agave, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the applesauce and scrape the sides of the bowl.
- In a small separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda.
- Add to the wet mixture and mix until combined.
- Fold in the coconut by hand.
- Drop the dough by heaping tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through the baking time.
- The cookies are done when they spread out and turn golden around the edges.
- Let cool completely before serving, if you can wait that long.
Something Swell Media http://www.somethingswellblog.com/